Thursday, September 08, 2005

Did someone say "smash hits"?

Yep. It was me and I was speaking about New West Fest and Arbour Fest. Both events together netted about a thousand dollars in donations and a dozen new Ann Arbor voters. Let me throw down at my Flickr account for visuals, but here I count the ways in which they rocked.

1. Chris Bathgate. So I didn't know who this dude was a week ago and now I've seen him perform 3 times in 4 days and he may be my new favorite local act. Great voice, clever lyrics, great range and execution in his music; I just wish he had another CD I could buy.

2. Arbor Vitae loft. A place I'd only heard about, seeing this place was pretty great -- like a hamster maze, as Brandon described it. The creation of late architect/planner Rich Ahern, definitely a top-notch sometimes social spot above Wazoo. When's the next show (including fiddler Sharon and accordionist Sean on the bill)?

3. Flyering. Brandon rocks. He flyered the hell out of Ann Arbor in the week and a half leading up to the shows and it paid off. Nearly a hundred paying customers at the Madison House and about 250 at Arbor Vitae.

4. Leopold Brothers. Todd and Scott hooked us up with a yummy Autumn Ale that kept musicians, volunteers, and fans alike company for the night (along with High Life and Bud from the Diag Party Shoppe). Definitely a big hit with the (21+) kids.

My next objective is a candidate panel in October, wherein the NWS/AAA will start to shape the debate of local politics. Anyone in?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the Casionauts rocked, myself - I got there too late for Chris Bathgate?

I think the indefatigable Dale Winling deserves some attention, too - that kid was a machine this weekend.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Murph, Bathgate is in Descent of the Holy Ghost Church.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah...Agreed, Murph. Way to go, Dale. You worked your ass off.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Casionauts were indeed awesome--their double washer-size CD with "New Grenada" had an excellent cover of "Hey Ya!" on it. Ryan's a friggin' genius and Chris is awesome, too (as are his bandmates, some in particular)--it was amazing to hear "I Know How You're Gonna Die Tonight" go electric. Thanks, Brandon, Dale, Murph, etc. I kind of wish I'd been drinking now, but oh, well. Let's do it again!!

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he does have another cd, he's got three iches... 4 of em.. and there at encore recordings... in the local music... three inch section ... (island/dead eyed stranger, create and consume, twilight unlimited, time heals all wounds)... i think he's playing "i know how your gonna die tonight at the lager house this wednesday the 28th.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home