Sunday, December 11, 2005

Hats off to the Mayor

I certainly bust his chops now and again. But I'm not above giving him props when he earns them.

This shout out is prompted by several reports that wind energy is, in some cases, competitive or cheaper than electricity produced by coal or natural gas. As seen on CTN several weeks back and detailed at the Leopold Brothers meetup, the city is going to start buying energy from a wind farm going up in the thumb. I was thinking about these kinds of possibilities over the summer and I'm very pleased to see Hieftje is thinking along the same lines (which, with his authority to actually do something about these thoughts, is probably slightly more important). Now I've just got to find the study he quoted that said wind energy could create 9000 jobs in Michigan and use it in my economic development paper.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if the study he was referring to was the one released in late 2004 by the Renewable Energy Policy Project http://www.repp.org/articles/static/1/binaries/WindLocator.pdf

It estimated 8,549 new jobs for Michigan.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Dale Winling said...

I'd bet it is; I found the same one after posting.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home