Saturday, April 22, 2006

David Kohrman, Genius

I recently got in touch with a friend from WMU, Dave Kohrman, now at Ball State. Having turned to public history towards the end of my undergrad career, I had a couple courses with Dave, and a turn on the Phi Alpha Theta board. Another time I'll tell about our brief detour to Gary, IN.

Narrator of the most hilarious end-of-semester true story ever told, Dave is an urban explorer not unlike the dude from the Detroit Blog, but better in my mind. I'm thinking about looking at Muncie Indiana for part of my dissertation (of _Middletown_ fame), so I got an update on Dave and, though his famed Chuck Norris movie reviews have been in short supply lately, I got to see some more of his photography. He instantly made the blogroll, and I encourage you to check it out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems right off the bat that David and Dblog don't really like graffiti. Dblog despises it. Maybe David likes it if its not in abandoned buildings?

David wins in terms of photography. He definately has an eye for shots and loves showing off what he actually saw when he explored. I mean, if you're gonna be an urban explorer and you're gonna make a webpage about it, for God sakes put up lots of photos to look at.

However, I feel that dblog is a better writer. What he lacks in pictures he describes articulately in words. He also throws in the history of the building and the people who worked there. Both of these points come from the fact that he's some sort of editor for a newspaper around these parts.

What I do like about David though is that he doesn't anonymize himself. And he seems a lot more personable. If that's a word.

-CL

9:15 PM  
Blogger Dale Winling said...

One thing I like is that Dave sticks to the buildings, not spouting off about urban-suburban politics, etc. But, as you note, it's partly their backgrounds.

9:45 PM  
Blogger dk said...

Hardly a genius, ha ha. Good to hear from you again.

I don't like graffiti in any form. Detroitblog is the better writer hands down. I've run into him several times in various buildings, ha ha. He told me that it was my site (Forgotten Detroit) that got him started in UE. The only edge I feel I have over him is that I've been doing this for much longer and thus have seen places he never will. His is my fav Detroit site, better then my own and much better then that silly Detroityes forum.

I don't anonymize myself because I write the blog with my UE friends and BSU classmates as the intended audience. Thus I include the occasional self-mockery, rant, and inside joke.

Someday I'll have to blog that Gary cop story. I swear, the ONLY time a cop bothers me was the one time I was in town with no illegal plans, ha ha.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home